Tucked away in the Apps list is pertinent information about each app or workflow, and its tools (executable or binary) and tool versions upon which the app or workflow is based.
The information that is available is provided by the integrator of the app or workflow: the date shared, the name and email of the integrator who created it, the link to thepage created by the integrator, the URL to the app for quickly sharing it with other CyVerse users, and the ratings submitted by other users. Information about the tool (the executable or binary upon which the app is based) used for the app or workflow can be viewed as well.
You can view the list of all tools that are available in the DE, or simply search for a tool in the Apps window search field. If the tool or tool version you want to use for an app is not available, you can request installation of a new tool or new tool version.
Viewing app information
In the Apps window, find the app or workflow whose information you want to view.
Wondering why an app has a funny symbol or is no longer in the list?
Apps with are disabled and currently not available for use.
Apps with are public apps that have not yet been vetted by the CyVerse team.
Apps with are private apps that you either you created or that have been shared with you by another user.
If an app is no longer returned in a search query, it may have been deprecated as part of the app recategorization efforts. You can use a similar app by searching for an app with a similar name or that uses the same tool. If you are the app integrator or need access to the app from a link in a publication, contact CyVerse Support at email@example.com for assistance.
It's also possible you haven't authenticated to the HPC server. You are prompted to log in to the server when you log in to the DE, open the Apps window, or click the HPC tab. Once you have authenticated, you won't see the prompt again unless major changes to the HPC server require re-authentication, which should happen rarely. So if the app you are searching for is in the HPC list, logging in will return the app to you in search results.
Click to the left of the name.
Information about the app is available on the Information tab:
- Favorite App star: Select at the top left to add it to your Favorite Apps list (also available next to the app name in the Apps list), or click to clear.
- Description: Brief description of the app, as entered by the app's integrator.
- Published on: Date the app was published to the DE.
- Integrator name: Name of the person who integrated the app into the DE.
- Integrator email: Email of the person who integrated the app into the DE – handy when you have questions, comments, or issues with the app or the app documentation.
- Help: Click User Manual to view the user manual, which is written by the app's integrator. Most user manuals contain a brief introduction to how to use the app and steps for trying out the app, including example input files and parameters to use. Email the integrator if you have questions about using the app or need more information. For information on creating a documentation page for your apps, see Sharing your App or Workflow and Editing the User Manual.
- Rating: Average rating given by other users of the app, if any. If you previously rated this app, the stars will be yellow. You can remove your rating here by clicking for the app you rated. For more information on entering app ratings and comments about an app, see Using App Ratings and App Comments.
- App URL: You can send the URL to a public app to quickly share the path with another user. To do so, click App URL, copy the URL, paste it into your text messaging or email application, and send. The user must be logged in to access the app.
To share an unpublished app (one in your private workspace that has not yet been made public), see Sharing your App or Workflow and Editing the User Manual.
- Category: To view the Operation or Topic categories in which the app is placed, click either Operation or Topic, click through the hierarchy, and click the lowest level to view other apps in the same category.
Viewing tool information
You can view tool information in two ways.
- In the Apps window:
- In the Apps window, find the app with the tool information to view.
- Click the Tool Information tab to view information about the tool (executable) used for the app or workflow: app name, description, path, version, and attribution. Email the integrator if you have questions about the tool used for the app.
- In the Manage Tools window:
- In the Apps window, click Manage Tools at the top.
- Click to select the tool whose information you want to view.
- Click .
- View the tool's attribution and description on the Tool Information tab.
- Click Apps using this tool tab to view the list of apps that use the tool.
For more information on managing tools, see Managing Tools in the DE.