|SACNAS 2017; Pre-conference workshop|
Joslynn Lee, Amanda Cooksey
Date and Time
|October 18, 2017, 9:00am-12:30pm; 1:30-2:00pm|
Salt Palace Convention Center (SPCC), Room 251B, Salt Lake City, UT
How to get the most out of this workshop
- This workshop is primarily a series of short demos and quick interactive tutorial.
- Experience and attendee feedback has shown that most users in this setting (attending a major conference) are usually looking to evaluate and follow up with information rather than detailed training.
- Slides and tutorials will be available at this link for follow up at your own pace.
- The workshop will conclude with resources on how to follow up and get more help and training.
Links and downloads
Introductions of Speakers
Overview of Workshop
What to expect
Overview of CyVerse
(resume after break)
|Overview of Data Store||CyVerse Data Store slides||Joslynn|
(resume after break)
Analyzing data with Discovery Environment (DE)
Overview of Atmosphere
(resume after lunch)
Workshop summary and discuss your data!
Attend the Conference Session
Resources and Techniques for Training Students in Computational Skills
Friday, October 20, 8:45-10:15am
Room 250 F
Want to learn more about how to train students in computational methods? The four instructors are also presenting a Resources and Techniques for Training Students in Computational Skills session during the 2017 SACNAS Conference.
Pre-workshop checklist and software downloads
1. Obtain a CyVerse Account
- Get your free account at http://user.cyverse.org. If possible, please register with an institutional (e.g. .edu, .org, .gov) email account ; only accounts linked to institutions can be granted access to Atmosphere.
2. Obtain Atmosphere Access
- Once you have your account, go to https://user.cyverse.org/dashboard/ and under Available Services, request access to Atmosphere. Indicate that you are attending a workshop when you are asked for justification (This will only be granted if you registered for CyVerse using an institutional account; see above).
3. Setup your computer for CyVerse
Most CyVerse platforms only require a web browser. All users are encouraged to use Cyberduck Download (Win, Mac) / CyVerse Cyberduck Profile (Download) for their data uploads (GUI); iCommands can be used for access to the Data Store services.
- Internet Browser: Please have an up-to-date web browser (We strongly recommend Firefox or Safari; Internet Explorer, Chrome and others have significant issues.)
- Data Store: Download and install iDrop (iDrop for your OS) and iCommands (for Linux and MacOS only)
The following are optional for the workshop:
- VNC Viewer: Download the DMG (for MAC) or exe (for PC) (http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/)
- Windows Users: Download and install PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)
Information on SACNAS
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science- is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicano/Hispanic and Native American scientists, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM.
- SACNAS is the largest diversity in STEM conference in the country.