This box searches only this space. The box at the upper right searches the entire iPlant wiki.

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

iPG2P Steering Committee
August 10, 2010; 2 to 3 pm EDT

Present: Doreen Ware, Karla Gendler, Chris Jordan, Chris Myers, Ruth Grene, Steve Goff, Steve Welch, Jeff White

Notes/Agenda:

  • PAG - Steve Goff
    • iPlant is signed up for a workshop in Januray
    • ASPB meeting went fairly well
      • People pretty responsive
      • Good feedback from NSF
      • Editor of Science was there (Pam Hines)
        • Potential for news story in Science when we are ready
    • Ware suggested will need computer modules, can participate in database booth at PAG
    • Haven’t developed a plan for who is going to be there
      • First figure out how much time we have and then what we want to present there
    • CGIAR has some sort of work group reservation
    • Might be useful to see if KnowledgeBase is going to be there too
    • Should be ready to discuss software developer toolkit and API to get more developers interested
  • Potential collaboration with CGIAR IBP - Steve Goff
    • Conference call this morning with CGIAR IBP
      • Being led by Graham McLaren
      • Part of CIMMYT and CGIAR
      • Funded by Gates foundation
    • Discussing potential to collaborate as they are building tools that breeders would use and want to consider using iPlant infrastructure
    • Will be pushed ahead to next level by them iPlant sending use cases
    • Dan S explained some of infrastructure ideas, architecture, ideas about collaborating with DOE Knowledgebase, how it would be good to collaborate between these groups
    • out of ICIS
    • Overall, good time to start considering standards
    • Set up meeting in October to talk about use cases
    • Create a folder to store information on IBP
    • Proposing to have three software engineers at UA iPlant or TACC to work with developers
    • Dan explained that some tools and middleware not exactly compatible or scalable but seem to be fairly flexible to changing
    • White feels this is an excellent initiative and will allow iPlant to have impact that it is looking for
    • Myers commented from point of view of Gates Foundation, interested to see if connections between C4 and IBP projects
      • Welch added one of graphics showed did include Cornell
      • Invited Gates Foundation people on con call this morning (Brian Love, David Bergvinson, Kartik Raghavan)
      • Mentioned Cornell because of Buckler’s group and TASSEL; mentioned effort going on with GPUs and GLM
    • Next point will be sharing info on 14 use cases and 9 crop species planning to support
  • NSF ideas lab meeting in Asilomar - Steve Goff
    • Week long meeting in early September that Goff is attending
    • If anyone has ideas about what could be brought up, send to Goff
    • Originally focused on evolution of photosynthesis but open to a lot of different ideas
    • Goff will bring up using energy efficiency to drive computation program of breeding platform
    • Ware asked for further clarification: is it supposed to be focused specifically on evolution of photosynthesis?
    • Goff couldn't provide specifics, said advertised as going beyond evolution of photosynthesis and efficiency
    • Grene wondered if it would that include stress tolerance? Goff thinks yes
  • iPlant's NSF Site Visit in November
    • Scheduled Nov 8-9
    • Don’t know who participants will be
    • It will be in Arizona (but could still be at TACC)
    • Won’t be a typical site visit
      • More of an informal review
    • Day and a half schedule: first review project, then talk about the project and then write the report
  • Opportunity to generate iPlant news article in Science
    • Goff will continue to talk to Pam about it
    • Perspective paper would be great (SW, RG)
  • Grene is trying hard to have prototype ready for next working group meeting and if it works out, will ask Matt to present to SC

Next meeting time: August 24, 2010 2pm EDT

Adjournment: 1:34pm EDT