The Data Commons (DC) is a growing and evolving platform, with many components spread throughout the CyVerse CI. Lacking our own team of dedicated developers, but having part-time access to most of CyVerse staff, plus some external collaborators, our development approach is to build the pieces that will provide the most benefit to our users as quickly as possible — and remain flexible and responsive to future needs. If you have suggestions or feedback on our projects, please log in to the CyVerse wiki and add your comments below.
This page is updated approximately once per quarter.
CyVerse Data Commons houses the subsets of CyVerse public data that has been shared with the public by community members (Community Released) and the data that has has been assigned permanent identifiers (PIDs) and is permanent and stable (CyVerse Curated Data). The Data Commons is housed in the CyVerse Data Store and available in the Discovery Environment under /iplant/home/shared/commons_repo/curated. All datasets in the DCR have minimal required metadata, based on the DataCite schema, as well as a ReadMe file that explains the contents of the dataset. DCR datasets are currently available through dc.cyverse.org, with the features described above.
- Customized landing pages for data in DCR
- DataCite metadata template for DOIs.
- Pipeline for requesting DOIs through the DE. Using this pipeline, scientists organize their dataset into a single folder, apply the appropriate metadata and add a ReadMe file, and then request the DOI. At that stage, the folder is moved automatically to a staging folder and the PID curators can review the request using our administrative interface (Belphegor). The process is described in PID Creation SOP for Curators.
- Ability to have multiples of the same metadata attribute (e.g., multiple Contributorscontributors) as part of the template
- Ability to link metadata fields (e.g., link contributorType to Contributor)
- Pipeline for generating ARKs
- Ability for curators to update metadata using the EZID API via Belphegor
- Science-specific metadata templates for images and sequence data
- Preparation of PID datasets through the Projects Interface