- In the Data window, click the checkbox for the file or folder to which you want to add a template. (You must have own or write permissions for the item.)
- Click Image Removed on the three dots at the right of the row for the item, or click the Metadata menu and then click Edit / View Metadata.
In the User Metadata window, click Select Template:
Note: To download the template in this window, click .
Select the template to use and click OK.
Click next to the template name to view a description of the template.
The template window opens, as shown in the following example of the RNA template:
In the template, complete the required fields (noted with a red asterisk).
Click to the left of the attribute name to learn about that field, or click Metadata Term Guide at the top to learn about all attributes in the template.
- To duplicate a field, click . (Click to remove the duplicate field.)
When done, click OK. The template's metadata attributes are added to the User Metadata dialog.
- Repeat for each additional template to apply to the data item.
- When done, click OK.
- Upload the metadata file to the Data Store:
- If the first column of your metadata file contains only file names (that is, all data files are in the same folder), move the bulk metadata file to the same folder as the location of the data files.
- If the first column of your metadata file contains the full path to each file (that is, the data files are in different folders), it does not matter where the metadata file is located on the Data Store.
If you create the file directly in the DE using the built in text editor, you do not have to upload. Just be sure to save the CSV file in the correct location as specified above.
- Apply the metadata to the files:
- In the Data window, check the box next to the name of the folder containing the data files to which you want to apply the metadata in bulk.
- Click the Metadata menu, point to Apply Bulk Metadata, and then click Select Metadata File.
- Browse to the location of the bulk metadata file and select it.
- Select the corresponding template from the dropdown menu.
- Click Okay.
If the action was successful, you should get a notification. If there is no notification, there was an error in the process and you will need to repeat the process after confirming that your metadata file is formatted correctly.