Uploading and importing data files and folders within the DE
This page contains:
Uploading data items in the DE
You can upload files from your desktop using two different methods:
- Simple Upload from Desktop is useful if you have smaller files up to 1.9 GB per file.
- Bulk upload from Desktop, which used the iDrop Lite Java applet, was removed for the 1.9.7 release.
Network bandwidth and current load impacts upload times. For more information on larger files and allocations, see Storing and Accessing Your Data in the Data Store.
You also can import files from URL that are larger than 3-4 GB or are not on your computer.
Using Simple Upload from Desktop
Simple Upload from Desktop is useful when you have smaller files of up to 1.9 GB per file.
- Open the Data window.
- In your personal folder, open the destination folder for the upload.
- Click Upload and then click Simple Upload from Desktop.
Verify the destination folder is correct.View
To change the destination folder, click Cancel, select the correct folder, and then click Upload and Simple Upload from Desktop again.
- In the Upload window, click Browse to select the first file to upload.
- Repeat for each file to upload.
- Click Upload. The files are uploaded to the destination folder.
Importing data items using Import From URL
Use Import From URL when you want to import larger files, have some files you want to upload from desktop and some you want to import from URL, or want to import a file to the DE that isn't on your system.
- Copy the URL for the first file to import.
- In your personal folder, select the destination folder for the import. (To create a new folder, see Creating a Folder.)
Click Upload and then click Import From URL.View
- Paste the URL for the file to import in the first row.
- Repeat for each file to import.
- Click the Import from URL button. The files are imported to the destination folder.
About Bulk Upload from Desktop (iDrop Lite)
The iDrop Lite Java applet was removed for the 1.9.7 release.
You may still download them within the DE using simple download, or upload or import files within the DE using simple upload or import from UR, or use the iDrop Desktop application, Cyberduck, or iCommands. The method you use depends on the size and number of your data files, as well as your personal preferences. For a comparison of the different methods of uploading and downloading data items both within and outside the DE, see Storing and Accessing Your Data in the Data Store.
Understanding status updates
As the import progresses, you receive several status updates in the form of popups, notifications, and emails. Once you have received notification that your file has been successfully imported, it is available in the destination folder.
It may take up to 30 minutes for the window to be updated. Refresh your browser window to see if the changes have taken effect.
If you experience issues with uploading or importing in the DE, try the following:
- Check that the file or folder name does not contain special characters. For more information, see Using Special Characters in the DE.
- If you are using Chrome on Mac OS X, bulk upload may result in Java errors and not launch, due to incompatibility between Chrome and Java. To use bulk upload on Mac OS X, close Chrome and use Safari or Firefox instead.
- Go to Ask iPlant and search on upload or import.
- This question may help you too.
For additional assistance, please contact iPlant Support.