An app is the mechanism you use to submit an analysis. Within the Apps window, you open the app to use for your analysis, and then select the file or files to use, define the settings as needed, and launch the analysis. As the analysis proceeds through the job, you receive updates about its progress. Once the analysis is completed, you retrieve and analyze the results. You can view the Apps list by either tiles (the new default) or by list (the previous view).
Opening the Apps window
On This Page:
Questions about apps?
Click (Help) at the top right of the Apps window in either view.
Refreshing the Apps window
Click to update the Apps window.
Searching for an app or workflow
At the top of the window, you can search on part of an app or workflow name to find the app or workflow, topic, operation, HPC app, or tool to use. To learn more, see Searching for an App, Workflow, or Tool.
If you are looking for an app that is no longer available that you need to use, first search for a similar app (either by name or by tool). If you cannot find a suitable replacement, contact CyVerse Support at email@example.com.
Also be aware that you must log in to the Agave server in order to view and use the list of HPC apps. If you have not yet authenticated (you'll only have to do it once or after a major upgrade but you'll be notified), click the HPC tab in the Apps list, or log out of the DE and back in, then log in when prompted to authenticate to the HPC server. For more information, see Using HPC Apps in the DE.
You also can click to read FAQs, ask and view questions in Ask CyVerse, and contact Support or submit feedback.
The Manage Tools menu is the hub for managing the Discovery Environment tools Docker images from which apps are created. Within this menu, you can manage (add, request installation, edit, delete, and use the tool in an app) and share the tool with specific collaborators, with the public, or keep it personal for just your use. For information on the Manage Tools menu, see Managing Tools in the DE.
Customizing the Apps window view
Switching the Apps list display
The apps that are displayed in the right panel can be viewed either in tiles view (the default) or list view (the previous display). Both views give you immediate access to the app and tool information used for the app, as well as the ability to quickly enter comments and rate the app. To switch to the other view, click Switch View at the top.
Changing the columns that are displayed
You can sort on any column in the Apps list, and hide or show columns to customize the look of your list.
- Hover over any column header in the list until a down arrow appears on the right side of the column:
- Click the down arrow:
- To sort on the column, click either Sort Ascending or Sort Descending.
- To hide or show a column, point to Columns, and then select or clear the checkbox for the column.
In the left panel, the Categories are displayed.
- My Apps: Apps and workflows you are in the process of creating and editing that you have not yet made public, your favorite apps, the apps you have already made public, and the apps that have been shared with you by other users. Click the My Apps tab, click the folder to use, and then click the app to use in the right panel. Note that the category name is displayed above the right panel.
- Topic: Public apps categorized by science type (such as biology, biomedical science, etc.). Click the Topic tab, navigate through the categories to the correct topic, and then click the app to use in the right panel. The path and category name are displayed above the right panel.
- Operation: Public apps categorized by operation type (such as alignment, analysis, etc.). Click the Operation tab, navigate through the categories to the correct operation, and then click the app to use in the right panel. The path and category name are displayed above the right panel.
- HPC: High-performance computing (HPC) apps that may be submitted directly to the Agave API. HPC apps, which are contained in a different repository, require that you sign in to the Agave server the first time you open either the DE, the Apps window, or click the HPC tab. Once you have done so, you will rarely have to authenticate again. Click the HPC tab, authenticate if necessary using your CyVerse username and password, and then click the app to use in the right panel. For more information, see Using HPC Apps in the DE and The Agave API.
Based on the EDAM ontology, categories under Topic and Operation help you more quickly find an app or workflow for the type of analysis you need to do. An app can be tagged with more than one category and can appear in more than one tab. Apps that have not yet been categorized are located in the Unclassified categories of the Topic and Operation tabs. All apps are available in search by name, integrator, and tool used for the app.
You can search for an app by name, integrator, tool used for the app, topic, or operation. Once you have authenticated to the Agave apps using your CyVerse username and password (usually required only the first time you log in to the DE and rarely thereafter), the list of HPC apps will also be displayed in search results and within the HPC tab. If the HPC app has been tagged with Topic and Operation terms, it will also show up under those tabs.
In the right panel, you can view details about the app, such as the integrator's name, and any ratings and comments entered by other users. Click the name of the app to use for your analysis from this section.
Anchor = AppStatus (visible to staff only)
About app status
Depending on the status of the app, it may display an icon to denote its status (if no icon is displayed, the app is a public app). In the tiles view, the icon is displayed at the bottom right of the tile, while in the list view, the icon is displayed to the left of the app name.
- Private apps (either an app you created and have not yet made public, or a private app that has been shared with you by another user) have a blue lock icon: .
- Beta apps (Apps that have been made public but have not yet been vetted by our team) have a green Beta icon: .
- Disabled apps (apps that can no longer be used, most often because they don't work properly) have a red X icon: .
- Public apps that are not in beta or disabled status have no icon.
To view the categories used for the app or the list of other apps in the same category:
- Click the category tab to use and select the app whose categories you want to view.
- Click to the left of the app name:
- Next to Category, click Operation or Topic to expand the category.
- Click through the tree to view other apps in that category.
You also can add the app to your Favorite Apps in your My Apps list, click User Manual to view the app's manual, and share the URL for the app with another user, click App URL, and then copy and send the URL to the recipient.
Requesting a new or different category
You can request that a public app be added to a different or additional category, or suggest addition of a new category. If the curators determine it is appropriate, they will add the app to that category within one month for existing categories. New categories may take longer if they require updates to the EDAM ontology.
To request a new or additional category for an app, click to the right of the app name and enter the requested category as a comment. Your suggestion will be emailed to the app integrator and CyVerse app curators.
You can view, rate, and add comments about an app.